How Blue Light Affects Your Skin Health
Blue light — what to know and how to protect your skin from it.
Not many people understand that the blue light from gadgets that are always in our hands can actually have a serious impact on our skin. The following facts might change your perspective, and make you think twice before bringing gadgets to bed.
1. Recognizing Blue Light
Shari Marchbein, a Board-Certified Dermatologist and Clinical Assistant Professor of Dermatology at the New York Universit, School of Medicine in Allure.com, says that blue light is light with short, high-energy wavelengths (as opposed to high-energy, short-wavelength light, and UV rays). Blue light has been shown to contribute to eye strain as well as cataracts, glaucoma, and other eye diseases.
It turns out that not only affects eye health, various studies also mention that blue light can damage the skin. Blue light contributes to brown spots on the skin and hyperpigmentation such as melasma, and possibly to photoaging and the breakdown of collagen, which causes wrinkling and deterioration of the skin condition.
However, the effect is not always immediately visible. According to a study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, the blue light starts to disrupt your skin's regenerative cycle gradually and has the potential to cause more skin damage over time such as skin redness and pigmentation.
Another small study published in Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity in 2015, showed that exposure to blue light can stimulate the production of free radicals in the skin, which can accelerate the appearance of aging. Although more research is needed on the effects of blue light, preliminary evidence seems to suggest that it is potentially damaging.
2. Early Prevention Steps
There is no better way than to prevent the negative effects of blue light. The steps you can take include:
- Limit the use of gadgets. You may not be able to avoid it at work, but outside of working hours, try not to always be tied to gadgets so that blue light exposure on the skin is not excessive.
- Keep your gadget out of bed. Some people are used to placing their gadgets on the bed or even next to the pillow. Start putting down your phone at least 30 minutes before bed, keep it on your bedside table.
- Lower the brightness level on your screen by 50% or use a darker ‘night mode’ setting to help reduce the rays intensity.
3. Treat From Now On!
To counteract the bad effects of blue light, you can use the right facial care products. ULTIMA II Clear White Supreme Protective Day Lotion SPF 30 PA+++ is an effective product in protecting skin from UV rays and brightening dull facial skin. The active ingredients inside are proven to be able to soothe the skin and reduce skin discoloration due to external influences. Check out their amazing ingredients below:
- SEPIWHITE™ MSH : Reduces melanin production by blocking Melanin Stimulating Hormones triggered by UV rays and makes skin glow.
- SEPICALM™ VG WP : Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract (lotus flower) which simultaneously inhibits pigmentations.
- Phytessence™ Kudzu : Protects against damage to collagen and elastin, maintains cell dynamism and skin youthfulness.
- AA2G (Vitamin C) : Strong and stable antioxidant that has been shown to support collagen and elastin production. Neutralizes the impact of free radicals from both blue light and sunlight, as well as reduces dark spots.
- Red Algae Extract : Combat the damage of blue light, protects from free radicals, a powerful antioxidant with good moisture-retaining properties.
- Vitamin E : Known and proven as an antioxidant to reduce wrinkles and keep skin youthful.
Another option for you is ULTIMA II Procollagen Extrema Day Lotion SPF 30 PA+++, an effective day lotion to protect the skin from UV rays. Help reduce signs of premature aging and UV damage. It contains CollaSence, which is Signature Collagen from ULTIMA II, a combination of the three best collagens enhanced with unique technology to nourish, maintain and stimulate skin regeneration. Hydorxyprosilane to strengthen facial skin structure, help slow down skin cell aging, restore skin firmness, and reduce visible fine lines. As well as Marine Elastin that strengthens your collagen network for supple, tight, and elastic skin.
Those two day lotions above also contain Zinc Oxide which functions to form a protective layer of the skin to ward off blue light from absorbing in. Use this product as the last step of your morning skincare ritual. Don't forget to keep using sunscreen or moisturizer with SPF even if you're indoors, because you can't avoid exposure to blue light from gadgets.
Grab yours now at the nearest ULTIMA II counter, or shop them online from the comfort of your home via ULTIMA II Concierge Service or e-commerce. Let's fight the dangers of blue light and take care of your precious skin even better from now on!
ULTIMA II | The Ageless Expert Founded in New York